Devon Closewool Sheep
What is the history of Devon Closewool Sheep?The Devon Closewool is a breed of the domestic sheep originating in the Exmoor region of southwest England. The breed arose around the mid-1800’s when Exmoor Horn sheep were crossed with the Devon Longwools. The resultant intermediate-sized sheep proved very popular and expanded rapidly in numbers.
The Devon Closewool Sheep Breeders Society was formed in 1923.
What are the characteristics of Devon Closewool Sheep?
- Devon Closewool a medium sized white faced sheep without horns.
- The nostrils are black, the ears are short and thick being covered with thick white hair.
- The neck is short and thick, well set into the shoulders.
- The ribs are well sprung with good depth.
- The back is flat, wide and long and the leg of mutton is well let down.
- The Devon Closewool is a very hardy sheep with a docile temperament making it an ideal sheep for the first time flockmaster or the commercial farmer looking for an easy care, low input sheep who survives and thrives on a purely grass based diet.
- Lambing percentages are usually between 150-170% and are even higher in lowland flocks.
- Ewes remain prolific and productive for up to seven crops and hold their teeth well.
- Rams are fertile over a long working life (6-7 years).
- The fleece of rams weighs 6 kgs, ewes 4 kgs with a micron count of 48-53.
- The wool is dense, medium length with a strong staple which does not part easily so the skin stays dry.
- This enables the sheep to thrive in wet, cold conditions.
What is the weight of mature Devon Closewool Sheep?
Devon Closewool ram is in the range of 90 kg and a mature ewe 55 - 60 kg.
H Cetin KATIRCIOnline Shepherd
- Патологическая физиология голодания Arina TARAN
- Дефицит фосфора (гипофосфатемия) Hipofosfatemi Arina TARAN
- Какие бывают кормораздатчики для ферм КРС? Irina Makarova
- Кормушки для овец Diana Myakisheva
- Питание домашних коз: что едят, виды корма и правила кормления Alina Arslantürk
- Важность минералов питании сельскохозяйственных животных Irina Makarova
Use of the information/advice in this guide is at your own risk. The Farmow and its employees do not warrant or make any representation regarding the use, or results of the use, of the information contained herein as regards to its correctness, accuracy, reliability, currency or otherwise. The entire risk of the implementation of the information/ advice which has been provided to you is assumed by you. All liability or responsibility to any person using the information/advice is expressly disclaimed by the Farmow and its employees.